Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Scouting

Hey everybody!
I notice that almost everyone that first starts the game never scouts... and then they are confused when they get cheesed or rushed. I'd recommend sending out a probe or drone at 9 supply, with the probe going after most likely putting down a pylon first. And the scv should usually go scout at 10 after building a supply depot.
You are going to want to do more than just shift click your unit into their base, you want to actually micro it and keep it in there for as long as possible, either until they get zerglings/marines/stalkers to scare your worker away. This will allow you the most information possible.
Yesterday I had a diamond 2s game where I didn't really pay attention when I sent my worker into their base, failing to see that they had in fact rushed me... So going through the motions isn't actually enough you need to be watching your scouter as well.
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
This is what will happen to you if you don't scout!

27 comments:

  1. kinda interested in purchasing this game now thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely one of my biggest problems when I play is lack of scouting on my part. I can usually win if I don't get surprise rushed, but I really need to focus on my reconnaissance. Following!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ya.. one of the most needed thinks in the games is scout...

    keep on going :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Still upset over that GOM match where some korean beat The Little One with his little cheese move. Fucking lame. Haven't watched since.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i agree. this is one of the most essential things to do in the game. you must always scout so you're aware of what to expect and how to counter.

    ReplyDelete
  6. scouting is only usefull if they surprise attack you in the beginning

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm gonna start playing SC2, but like.. I haven't even played the original! omg I'm so scared.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  8. @troykan
    I'm in diamond 1's, 2's, and 3's, rank 1 @ ~1200pts in 3's atm

    ReplyDelete
  9. this is one of my more favorite blog posts from you :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. You just convinced me to scout
    nice blog you have here
    supporting and following~

    ReplyDelete
  11. Scout or die! I learned the hard way that you need to take the time to scout!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Scout scout scout, only don't scout if you want to lose. Good point, i'll try and get out of bronze league now

    ReplyDelete
  13. that actually might improve my gameplay! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Noted, I will go do my scouts! lol :)

    ReplyDelete